Tuesday, February 28, 2012

White Sheep

Who would be the opposite of Rosa Parks?  Lenny Smith, a generic white boy who's a janitor at a Chick-Fil-A?  Because that's who we felt like one weekend at a hotel my wife and I stayed at.  We felt like a Lenny Smith in a sea of jazz loving black people.  We went to a hotel and we were the only white people in the hotel.

There was a jazz band playing later that Friday night and we just came back from dinner and I really wanted to stay and hear the music.  But we went to the lobby and all eyes were on us.  It wasn't a "What are you doing here Whitey?" kind of look.  More like a, "You're out of place, but we appreciate your business."  It's a weird feeling to be nervous and calmed by Sade type music.  My wife felt out of place, so we decided to get the hell out of that lobby and go up to the room and watch some analog tv.

The hotel gave us a card to redeem for two free drinks and later in the night I asked if my wife wanted to use them.  We pretty much looked at each other and said, "I'm not going back down there and feel out of place."  I left the "We're Asleep" sign on the door knob until our check out at noon the next day.

National Harbor was a fun atmosphere overall.  Cold.  If you're looking for ice cream though, there's a Ben & Jerry's stand.  But it's a shitty little hot dog looking stand.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment