Friday, May 4, 2012

Hardee's

Some things that were constant growing up in a single parent home was Ramen noodles and rice every night and not having the newest NES games.  And then there are the bad things.  Like when your mom makes you stay in the car while she works.  Oh did I mention my mom is crazy?  I do love her.  But she is a Grade A bitch.  And I don't see that changing in this lifetime.

Let me back up a little.  My mom always worked at restaurants as a waitress.  And she always dragged me there and I had to sit in the areas that were out of the way from customers and/or management.  I was like Yoda, always having to stay hidden.  I felt more like a wack-a-mole.  Because every time I came out of my area, my mom would yell, "I told you to take a nap!  Get back to your area!"  My only saving grace at this Irish pub my mom worked at was a bartender who used to give me maraschino cherries and quarters to play table top Pac-man.  

When I got a little older, she worked at a buffet.  And this is when she started making me stay in the car because she didn't want to pay anybody for childcare.  That or she was hoping I'd get kidnapped.  Then she wouldn't have to worry about me.  I guess either way she didn't have to take care of me.

But I remember having a sleeping bag and some Tiger electronic submarine game.  I beat it.  When it got dark I'd use a flashlight to see those digital shapes.  My mother didn't pack any food because God forbid she provide some kind of sustenance for me.  And after awhile, I started getting out of the car and roaming the stores.

During one cold night I had my heavy coat and went in a store and stole some raisin yogurt snacks.  I hid them under my coat and walked out.  I think the lady working there knew I was stealing but she didn't say nothing.  Maybe she was lazy and/or just didn't give a shit.  But it worked in my favor.

Feeling more ballsy.  I wanted more.  Like a hamburger at the Hardee's close by.  Oh nice burgers.  And in order to get those, I had to steal my mother's silver dollars she collected.  I was in second or third grade but I had an appetite like a sumo wrestler.

My mother thought if she kept me in the car I wouldn't get in trouble at home.  I'd try to speak up and say, "All I'm going to do is play Nintendo."  But she didn't care.  She'd just do what she wanted to do.

I came up with weird things to pass the time.  I would play through Super Mario Brothers 3 from start to finish in my mind.  As I just typed that I can't believe I memorized all the levels but I did.  I read a lot of those Encyclopedia Brown Mystery novels which were awesome.  So there were things I did to keep myself from going insane.  But what was the most insane and crazy and retarded was that I didn't think this was wrong.  I didn't know any better and it was normal to me.  I knew something wasn't right.  But you kind of go with the idea that your mother won't screw you over.  But I guess that wasn't the case.

I wonder if my mother ever thought about what she did and said to herself, "Oops, permanent damage there.  And there.  Oops, have fun going to therapy for this." 

No comments:

Post a Comment