Thursday, August 9, 2012

Knowing is 1/32 the battle

I recently connected with my father on Facebook and it's crazy because it wasn't an easy thing to message him.  I wasn't really sure what to say.  Like was I going to say, "Hey...ummm...what's new?  How's the past 31 years been?  I know how to shave."  But in the moment I felt like I over did it.  I tried the approach like everything's been fine and we've known each other.  I called him Pops in the message.  And I typed what I typed and after hitting the send button.  I was like, "Oh crap, I hope I wasn't too forward."

But it's funny because I know where I get my hunger for knowledge and my trait of telling really long drawn out jokes where there's like three subplots involved and you would have had to read Plato's Republic and then at the end when I reveal the punchline, I'm the only one who thinks it's funny.

You know how when something's on your mind before you go to bed you dream about that thing?  I had a dream I was playing chess with my father and in the middle of the game when I moved my piece I looked up and saw him reading a tome of some sort and it turned out to be the dictionary.  And I asked, "Why are you reading the dictionary?"  And he looked up, cleared his throat, and said, "This is a story about everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment