Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The guy who thought of Jesus during sex

When I was really into going to church all the time and scared of hell and scared of being a disappointment to others, I was considered godly.  I kind of put two and two together of what godliness looks like in the Baptist scene.  As I started to think on my own and develop some opinions I noticed there's wasn't any room to be fond of anybody who was different.  I remember being in a Sunday school class and a guy who was very intelligent and passionate about God started explaining things and everybody else in the class dismissed it as not really on track because it wasn't our doctrine or what we were used to.  Because a difference in opinion to a Baptist is heresy.  But the guy was nice.  Really nice.  He was a movie theater worker and had the personality to greet people.

I talked with him once during the sermon, we skipped it and had time to talk.  It was fun but things got weird because he started telling me about his sex life and not that that scares me but I didn't really know him.  And he said one thing to me to which I had 2 responses to.  He said, "I just wanna think of Jesus even when I'm having sex with my wife."  And I was like, first off, "No," and secondly, "No."

Because it's things like this that make people think Christians are wacky and they are wacky when they think things like this.  Can't we just enjoy sex as sex instead of thinking of a stereotypical guy with a beard and long flowing robe who pissed off religious people of his day?

So yeah, even with my Baptist upbringing, I think as I'm on this side of church that people in general are weird.  But I realize I say this while I'm looking in a mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment